A toothbrush can do a lot more than clean your mouth. With an old plastic or bamboo toothbrush, you can clean your shoes with ease.
Granted, there are dedicated brushes that are made specifically for cleaning dirty shoes, but if you aren’t at home or don’t have enough money to buy them you can use your old toothbrush as an alternative.
Toothbrushes are perfect for cleaning shoes, as they are lightweight, portable, and can clean hard-to-reach areas with ease. Even more, they are inexpensive.
This article is going to discuss how to use a toothbrush to clean shoes.
What type of shoes can I clean with a toothbrush?
You can clean your sneaker, dress shoes, and even your sandals and flip-flops with a toothbrush. Since the bristles of your old toothbrushes aren’t very tough, you can be confident that they won’t damage any part of your shoe.
If you have a shoe made with a delicate material and you aren’t sure if you can use a toothbrush to clean it, you should do a little research to find out how to clean it. Alternatively, you should as yourself if a regular brush can be used to clean it. If it can, then you can equally use your old toothbrush to clean it.
3 reasons why you should start cleaning your shoes with a toothbrush
As previously mentioned, there are dedicated brushes on the market that are designed for cleaning shoes. Below are some reasons why you should choose a toothbrush over these brushes.
They are inexpensive
Let’s face it, premium quality shoe brushes are somewhat expensive. So if you are on a tight budget, you may be skeptical about purchasing them. Instead of splashing your hard-earned money on a shoe brush, you should opt for a toothbrush. As you know, toothbrushes are inexpensive. So it isn’t going to cost you much to get it. And remember that you can use your old toothbrush.
Easy to use
Toothbrushes are perfect for cleaning most types of shoes because they are super easy to use. They have a sturdy handle you can hold on to while cleaning your shoes.
Since toothbrushes have small bristles, they can easily reach difficult areas and clean spots and stains on your shoes.
Easy to move around
Truth be told, shoe brushes are effective, but they are really the perfect travel buddy, as they take a lot more room than a toothbrush. Toothbrushes are portable, lightweight, and won’t take up too much room in your bag. This means that you can travel with them without any hassle.
The right way to clean shoes with a toothbrush
In this section, we are going to be looking at how a toothbrush can be used to clean every part of your shoe.
Cleaning the Sole of your shoes with a toothbrush
- Wipe your shoe– Use a damp cloth to clean the dirt and dust on your shoe. If you don’t have a cloth, you can use a damp paper towel as an alternative
- Cleaning agent– Prepare a mixture of detergent and water in a container. Mix until you achieve a soapy result.
- Toothbrush– Dip your old toothbrush into the mixture and use it to scrub every part of the shoe sole. Dip the brush into the mixture multiple times until the dirt is gone.
- Wipe– Use a clean towel to carefully wipe the sole of your shoe and allow it to air dry before wearing them.
Cleaning the mesh
- Cleaning mixture– Prepare a mixture of detergent and water in a bowl. Mix it until it becomes soapy. (Use a detergent that doesn’t contain bleach)
- Toothbrush– Carefully dip your old toothbrush into the mixture and use it to scrub the mesh area of your shoes (in a circular motion). Repeat the process until the shoe is clean.
- Wipe – Use a damp cloth to wipe the detergent mixture off the shoe.
- Airdry– Allow the shoe to air dry before using it.
How to use a toothbrush when using bleach on your white sneakers
Make sure you wear a protective glove before carrying out the steps below.
- Bleach mixture– Prepare a mixture of bleach and water in a plastic bowl.
- Scrub-Dip your old toothbrush into the mixture and use it to scrub your dirty white sneakers.
- Rinse your shoes– Rinse your shoes with warm water until it is clean.
- Air dry– Allow the shoe to air-dry
Your old toothbrush is the perfect tool for cleaning your shoes. Whether you want to remove stains on the sole and mesh of your shoes, you can be confident of getting a clean result if you use a toothbrush.