HOW DO I KEEP MOLD FROM GROWING ON MY TOOTHBRUSH?
As the name implies, a bamboo toothbrush is a manual toothbrush with handles made from bamboo and bristles made from biodegradable materials like Nylon-4. Contrary to thoughts, bamboo toothbrushes have been around for quite a while, but they didn’t gain recognition until recently.
Why should you use a bamboo toothbrush?
- Eco-friendly: One of the primary reasons bamboo toothbrushes gained recognition is because it is environmentally safe. The plastic toothbrushes, which cannot be recycled, cause at least a percentage of ocean waste. Using a bamboo toothbrush will cause less water pollution and protect the sea animals from consuming plastic waste. The bamboo toothbrush (being a plant-based substance) decomposes quickly.
- Anti-bacteria quality: Bamboo does not allow the growth of bacteria’s. So, you can use a bamboo toothbrush without the fear of toxic bacteria’s growing on your toothbrush.
- Bamboo trees benefit farmland: The bamboo tree is a plant that has a lot of benefits to both the farmland. The bamboo tree grows fast, and it can grow without fertilizers or manure. The bamboo tree prevents erosion and restores the land. It regrows itself on the land and aids afforestation. Cut-down bamboo trees can be used for compost on the grounds.
- Aesthetics: The bamboo toothbrush is beautiful to behold and blends well with the modern-day décor. It can be customized to give a more personal feeling.
- Suitable for the teeth and gum: The bamboo toothbrush has a small head that allows it to move freely in the mouth and reach the corner of the mouth. The bamboo toothbrush bristles have soft bristles, which are suitable for the gum. Children can use bamboo toothbrushes.
The Growth of Mold on Toothbrushes
When using a plastic toothbrush, you might now have to worry about mold. But because of their natural quality, bamboo toothbrushes are likely to harbor mold. Even though molds are not as dangerous as you might have envisioned, they are not as healthy either. Mold is a species of fungus which feeds on organic materials. It grows in a moist environment, so it is easy for it to grow on a bamboo toothbrush. Bamboos are water-absorbent because of their holes and pores, which allow them to hold and trap moisture for a long time; this gives time and a suitable environment for the mold to grow and reproduce. When exposed to a large number of molds regularly and consistently, it can harm your health.
How to know when mold grows on a toothbrush
The growth of mold on the toothbrush is usually made known by the appearance of black spots around the bristles. Even though bamboo toothbrushes fade and become darker over time, mold growth shows a different appearance.
What should you do when you notice mold on your toothbrush?
Noticing mold on your toothbrush can be a terrifying moment; the appearance of the black spot can be irritating and scary at the same time. If you love the toothbrush, you might feel attached and decide to keep using it; this is not advised.
When you notice mold on the handle, you can treat it with hot water, but throw out the toothbrush when it is around the bristles. You should also check the surroundings for the growth of mold. Sanitize the surroundings to prevent the growth of mold on your next toothbrush.
How to keep mold away from the toothbrush
To prevent the growth of mold on the toothbrush, keep the toothbrush dry. You can control it dry by;
- Cleaning with a dry piece of cloth after use
- Keep it upright after use; storing the toothbrush uprightly will let the water roll downwards instead of staying in the brush.
- After drying it after use, air-dry it. Do not keep it in an enclosed space.
- Use a waterproof bamboo toothbrush.
Waterproof bamboo toothbrush
Bamboo is not naturally waterproof, but when it has gone through some processes. It turns out to become water-resistant, allowing little or no water in it. Bamboos are treated to make waterproof bamboo toothbrushes.
Difference between Normal Bamboo Toothbrush and Waterproof Bamboo Toothbrush
- Ordinary bamboo toothbrush is porous and retains water, while the waterproof bamboo toothbrush is not porous because it has gone through many processes.
- The ordinary bamboo toothbrush can allow mold growth, while a Waterproof bamboo toothbrush prevents the growth of mold.
- Ordinary bamboo discolor and gets worn out because of how it retains water; waterproof bamboo remains almost new for months.
How do you dispose a Bamboo toothbrush?
Like plastic toothbrushes, a bamboo toothbrush should be changed every three months. But it should not be disposed of like the plastic toothbrush; this is how you can properly dispose of a bamboo toothbrush.
- Take the bristles off the toothbrush with a set of pliers
- Put the bamboo handle in a compost heap or an organic waste bin
- If the toothbrush bristle is made of nylon, put it with recyclable materials.
Frequently Asked Questions on Waterproof Bamboo Toothbrush
Which is better, plastic or waterproof bamboo toothbrush?
Though they both have the same cleaning quality, waterproof Bamboo brushes are more environment-friendly. That means when you use a bamboo toothbrush; you are doing your part in making the environment safer to live in.
For how long can I use my waterproof bamboo toothbrush?
Your bamboo toothbrush is to be used for as long as you use your plastic toothbrush, that is, 2-3 months. Bamboo toothbrushes get old quickly if you use them frequently, so replacing them on time is advised. Children’s toothbrushes should be replaced more often to prevent illnesses from the growth of molds or bacteria.
Can I boil my waterproof bamboo toothbrush?
Since waterproof bamboo toothbrushes cannot allow mold growth, there is no need to boil except to kill other bacterial germs on them.
There are too many causes of environmental pollution. You can do your part to reduce it by making use of an eco-friendly toothbrush (bamboo toothbrush).