Do you know how to properly clean a water flosser? If you don’t, your oral health may be at risk.
As you know, a water flosser is an important dental product that can remove food remains and debris from hard-to-reach areas. If you don’t know how to clean it or don’t clean it correctly, its performance is going to decline rapidly. When this happens, it will be less effective. When a water flosser isn’t cleaning your mouth properly, you may become prone to oral conditions like cavities and tooth decay.
Whether you have a high-end water flosser or an inexpensive model, you should keep in mind that cleaning it regularly will extend its life span. So if you don’t want to keep buying a new water flosser every couple of months, you should learn to clean it properly.
Cleaning a water flosser may seem like a daunting task, especially if you are new to it. But the truth is that it is not. This article is going to unveil some easy-to-follow steps to cleaning a water flosser.
Parts of a water flosser
A water flosser is made up of various parts. Each part needs to be cleaned thoroughly for it to work properly and remain in great shape. Below is a list of the various parts of a water flosser.
- The tip
- The internal parts
- The handle
- The outside of the unit
- The water reservoir
How clean a water flosser tip
Below are the steps to cleaning the tip of a water flosser.
- Carefully remove the tip from the unit. Some models have an eject button you can press to detach the tip from the rest of the unit.
- Soak the tip in a bowl of 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts water for five to ten minutes
- Take the water flosser tip out of the solution and rinse it with water
Just like bamboo toothbrushes, dental care experts recommend changing the tip of a water flosser every 3 months.
How to clean the internal part of a water flosser
Here is how to properly clean the internal part of a water flosser.
- Prepare a mixture of white vinegar (1 tablespoon) and water (16 ounces)
- Pour the solution into the unit. Repeat the process.
- Rinse the unit with clean warm water and allow it to air dry.
How clean a water flosser handle
Below are the steps to cleaning the handle of a countertop water flosser.
- Press the eject button and remove the tip from the unit
- Soak the handle of the unit in a mixture of white vinegar and water for 10 minutes
- Thoroughly rinse the handle with water
Note: If you have a handheld or non-countertop model, you should not submerge the handle in water, as it contains electrical parts and a battery. The best way to clean these models is with a damp cloth.
How to clean a water flosser reservoir
The manual that came with your unit may contain detailed information on how to clean the reservoir. However, if it doesn’t you should follow the steps below.
- Carefully detach the water reservoir from the central unit. You may have to remove the valve located at the bottom of the device. Clean the valve by running it under water for 30 seconds.
- If the reservoir is dishwasher safe, you should put it on the first or top rack of your dishwasher. Allow it to air dry afterward. You can wash the reservoir by hand if you don’t have a dishwasher.
How to clean a water flosser (Outside of the Unit)
Cleaning the outside of the unit is very straightforward. All you have to do is to use a damp clean, soft, and cloth to clean the unit. You also use a non-abrasive cleaner.
A water flosser is a must-have product that can improve your oral health. Regardless of the model you have, you should clean it properly so that it will remain effective and last longer. Following the tips discussed in this article will help ensure that you clean every part of the unit.