Fun facts about flossing

Do you want to learn some fun facts about flossing? If yes, this article is for you. 

Truth be told, many people don’t think flossing is super important. Because of this, they only do it a few times a week. 

Dental health experts have pointed out that flossing is just as important as brushing, as it can remove bacteria and food remains. Also, it can reduce the odds of one developing oral health conditions like cavities and tooth decay. To enjoy the benefits of flossing, you should do it once daily. 

Presently, there are a lot of myths and misinformation surrounding flossing. To help you silence the noise and get a better understanding of it, we provided some interesting facts about flossing. 

Interesting facts about flossing Regularly

Flossing cleans 30% of your teeth

According to dentists, brushing your teeth with a bamboo toothbrush alone removes 70% of the germs, bacterial, and food remains in your mouth. Flossing removes the remaining 30%. Flossing is important because it can help remove plaque and food remains from hard-to-reach areas. Since flossing can improve your oral health, you should never skip it. 

Flossing can prevent bad breath and cavities 

Do you have bad breath? If yes, chances are, you haven’t been flossing regularly. When you don’t floss, the food remains and plaque stuck between your teeth, will start to affect your teeth. The acid present in the plaque may start to erode your teeth. This, thus, will lead to the formation of holes. 

Not removing the plaque between your teeth by flossing can also affect your breath. As you know, the scent of plaque and food remains aren’t pleasant. So if you let them sit in your mouth, you are going to have bad breath.  

Don’t wait for food to be stuck between your teeth before flossing 

A lot of people only floss when food remains are stuck in between their teeth. If you are in this category, you need to understand that flossing can do a lot more than removing food remains. Flossing can remove plaque, which is present in our mouth whether we eat or not. Note that plaque can cause certain oral conditions when it is allowed to accumulate. 

Fun fact about flossing that you probably don’t know 

More is better when it comes to floss 

Your dentist has probably told you not to use too much toothpaste, as it can increase the risk of you having gum recession. One thing your dentist will encourage you to use a good amount of is your floss. Taking a generous amount of floss (20 inches) will make flossing easier, as you will have enough floss to wrap around your fingers and clean between your teeth.   

Floss is available in different flavors 

Presently, there are two types of floss on the market. The first one, which is very popular is unflavored. Unflavored floss usually has either no taste or a mint taste. The second is available in some exciting flavors. If you visit your local dental care shop, you will surely find floss in bubblegum, beacon, wasabi, cinnamon, and many other exciting flavors. 

People with braces can floss their teeth

Many people with braces skip flossing their teeth for several reasons. Some think that it will be uncomfortable to use. Others think it may get tangled in their braces. The truth is that even people with braces can and should floss their teeth daily. To have a seamless experience when flossing, they may have to use a special threading maneuver when flossing. With this technique, they will be able to clean between their teeth and behind brackets with ease. 

Final note 

The importance of flossing regularly cannot be over-emphasized. So if you have been slacking off or only floss a few times a week, you need to turn things around. Remember that flossing can improve your oral health and prevent certain dental conditions. And if you want to learn more interesting facts about flossing, you should consult your dentist.